The orchestra for the soloist’s concerto should require a small orchestral accompaniment
[i.e. a classical concerto. Preference will be given to concertos that require a strings-only orchestration, or with the addition of no more than 4 wind instruments. Examples: Bach, Vivaldi, some Mozart].
The committee will consider multiple performers and/or single movements of pieces.
- The concerto is open to any instrument except piano.
- The competition is open to any resident of New England enrolled in a high school [or equivalent].
- Applicants must be no more than 18 years of age by the application deadline.
Please submit the following:
- Brief letter of application. Include instrument, years of study,
teacher, intended solo/concerto and additional performance repertoire.
- One Letter of Recommendation.
- $35 entry fee [Non-refundable. Check made payable to Boston Virtuosi, Inc.].
- Preliminary Tape or CD. No more than 5 minutes in length.
Must include TWO contrasting sections that highlight the candidate’s strengths.
One selection must be a short section of the intended solo/concerto with orchestra.
The second selection should be any musical work that showcases your abilities and strengths.
Deadline TBA to qualify and be scheduled for competition time.
[Limit of 25 finalists.]
- Competition Finals: Date TBA, Location TBA.
Solo plus one other contrasting solo piece.
Please be prepared to play through entire solo.
* BYOP. Bring your own pianist. Pianist is not provided for competition.
If you have questions, call Paul Dulude at the Boston Virtuosi office at
617-547-8860, or email Paul Dulude